Not long after I hit publish on that last post, my Dad and our out-of-town guests arrived home. They had been down at The Mule Days celebration. What's that? You've never heard of Mule Days before!? It's totally the largest gathering of mule enthusiasts on the planet! They walked in the house and excitedly began telling me about all the fun they'd had and all the, well, mules they'd seen. There was no doubt a wonderful time had been shared by all.
My Dad suggested that everyone freshen up and then he'd take us all out for Mexican food. We all quickly offered to just stay home and finish leftovers from the previous night, but he insisted we go out. As we began the drive into town, Dad mentioned that his stomach had begun to hurt. Again, we offered to turn the car around and go home for leftovers. He refused, surely thinking whatever was bothering him would quickly pass. We drove onward a few more blocks, when he said, "Are you sure you wouldn't mind eating leftovers?" "Let's go home!" we all insisted. By the time we reached the house, he had begun moaning in pain. He walked a couple laps in the driveway and then tried sitting down at the kitchen table, but the pain seemed to be getting worse. We then started discussing quick-care clinics, and realizing it was too late in the day for any of those, mentioned the ER. Within five minutes I was driving him that way!
Once at the hospital, they did an EKG, took blood samples, and did some radiology work. It was quickly confirmed that he'd need his gallbladder removed. At this point, they began issuing him pain meds through his IV. The nurse warned that the first 90 seconds would feel like a hot flash, and almost immediately he began complaining of nausea. The nurse quickly handed me a bedpan and instructed me to use it to fan his face - who needs to wave palm fronds on Palm Sunday when you have bedpans!? For the next six hours, my poor Dad couldn't get over the nausea & dizziness. That seemed to be worse than his initial pain!
Finally, after several hours in the ER, they moved him up to a room. Once his new nurses got him squared away, I knew I needed to head home. Our friend that's visiting had rode down to the hospital with me and had been sitting in the waiting room this whole time, while his wife waited back at our house.
It was 11:30 PM when I got him home and sent the two of them to bed. Then I pulled on a pair of boots (under the dress I had put on almost 24 hours before, ha), secured my headlamp and ventured down the front yard to "do chores". I grabbed a pitchfork and threw some hay for the mules, scooped them up some tasty oats, and locked the chickens into their roost. After a quick shower and a change of clothes, I felt like a new woman.
I made it back to the hospital shortly after 1 AM - record time! The nurse let me know that Dad had been sick once again while I was gone, but thankfully, that was the last of it. I reclined in the chair beside Dads bed and we settled in for the night.

It's now 9 AM. I think Dad got quite a bit of rest. They haven't given him pain meds again and he seems to be feeling alright. With it being Sunday, they don't know when to expect the doc to make his rounds. Hopefully we can get this show on the road soon!
