Thursday, February 19, 2009

Snow, slippers, and soup.

We had a few days over the last couple of weeks where the temps skyrocketed into the 50s. The kids loved getting outside to ride bikes and take long walks around the compound.



Now this week it’s been snowing again. I do love the snow. It makes the hustle and bustle of China seem peaceful…until the next morning when everyone’s trying to drive on it.



The business at the bakery was booming for Valentine’s day. The US Embassy holds a monthly bazaar that we regularly take baked goods to, so that along with the extra holiday orders kept everyone busy. We had a fun night of taste-testing desserts and everyone got involved in the cookie decorating.



Now that the Spring Festival, or Chinese New Year is behind us, a couple of our high-school aged girls have to return to their public schools. It’s been fun having them around the house for the last month. One of them, Mong Mong, had to return to her orphanage first, who would then take her on to her boarding school. I got to go along on the ride and was really excited for another orphanage experience. Hers is really small, with only about thirty youth. The younger kids were excited to see her return, so it was neat to know she also has a family there that cares for her when she can’t be with us.

On Valentine’s day, our restaurant served a fancy evening meal targeted toward the expat community. We wanted to buy some fresh flowers to make floral arrangements for the center of each table, so on Saturday morning, Keith, Lydia, and I ventured off for the flower market! Every single street corner we passed was occupied by people with ARMfuls of roses. When we’d stop for a red light, they would all beeline for the car with the blonde girl and tap on my window. I smiled and waved for the twenty minute drive, feeling like quite the celebrity. Arriving at the market, we encountered the biggest push and shove match I’ve ever laid my eyes on. Men of every age haggled loudly with vendors at booth after booth of fragrant flowers in every color. Most bouquets were so large you could barely wrap your arms around them. It was fun to play around and design our own arrangements. I picked out a bundle of red roses, and pink and white lilies for each centerpiece. While they were putting them all together, Lydia kept tugging on my sweater and mumbling something about fish. I tried explaining to her that we were at a flower market, and that there were no fish. I finally asked Keith why she kept talking about fish, and he explained that the exotic pet market was just on the other side of the flower market. Oh, of course! Lydia was right - there were indeed fish. So little Lydia and I ventured off to find the fish, and turtles, and frogs, and mice, and lizards. It was such a fun day!





Back at home, Keith and Cheryl took off for the restaurant and the girls and I made some special deliveries. We had spent a couple days that week making crafts for their parents and all the foster youth. We took a little construction paper and lollipops and made candy bouquets. I did the cutting and the girls decorated the pedals with everyone’s names and Valentine’s messages.



That evening, Ting surprised us with an amazing pasta dinner and a frosty-fruity treat for dessert. The girls and I played Taboo late into the evening and Sophie and I cuddled on the couch. It was the perfect Valentine’s Day!



This week has also brought some sad news. Our little Sophie will have to return to the orphanage she came from, in the far south of the country. While our foster home has a desire to focus on older kids, teens and young adults, we still hoped we could help with Sophie’s medical mysteries and eventually find another foster home to place her in. I’ve personally loved having a baby in the house to snuggle with and my arms will miss her and our evening cuddle sessions. Please think of her in the coming weeks – we’re not sure when she’ll be leaving, but it could be as early as the end of this month. It will be hard to see her go, but I’m certainly hoping we can continue to follow her case and support her, and that that will eventually lead to a sweet reunion with the little bundle of love.





I've got snow, slippers, and soup - today is a wonderful day!